Sunday, June 1, 2008

Happy Sunday!

Good morning readers,

TODAY: We had a terrible storm last night and I did not sleep very well. Hubby, who has a sleeping disorder, did not go to bed until 7:15 this moring. He will be in bed until 1 pm. this afternoon. It will be a quiet morning for me, which is good, as the allergies are getting me today. Hey, after my fruit, tea and muffin, maybe I'll go back to bed too! Have to call our transportation and cancel a ride to church this morning. Transportation being hubby's Mom & Dad...hehe.

UPCOMING WEEK: TPrimary elections on Tuesday and Gary is working the polls.
At the end of this week we are going to a retirement celebration which is going to be outside....so let's hope the weather is good next Saturday. I will have to drag out my clarinet and practice a bit, as I may have an opportunity to play a little at the celebration.

STORY: Because of my vision loss, I had to quit driving in 1993 and my job 1997. Later in the week I can give you my story of "My Last Day Driving"., but for now I will settle for a poem I wrote during a very sad time when I had to give up my job. I was thinking "Who Am I now"? and What do I do with my life now"? "How will losing my vision effect my life?" I was in a dark place, trying to get out of it and into a brighter place that I knew was still there.

Unsuspecting Victim

A fire is such a cruel cruel thing
As smoke seeps under the bedroom door
Oxygen is slowly sucked out of the room
And unwary victims slowly lose the gift
Of precious life forever more
Slowly, slowly, dying, dying

RP is just like the smoke of fire
It slowly steals away your world of vision
Often undetected by its victims
It creeps up on you slowly, slowly
Killing retina cells in its path

Each day, as I walk in creation and color
Oh how I wonder, how it may be
When the cruel cruel monster will come
And take it all away from me
Every single day I try to burn
Each blade of grass, each flower
And even the dark gray skies
Into the depths of my mind
For the day may come when it will be
The only place the picture, I may see

The monster is ever so slowly grasping
The life from my very eyes
At times I suddenly notice the difference
And hope that it's all a lie
I guess I have reached a new stage of loss
How long will it take them to die?

NOTHING ever can compare
To God's great awesome wonder
His hands paint such awesome beauty
That no man can ever ponder
Houses, cars, paintings or any man made thing
Are dull in contrast to nature's colorful sea

The fresh cut grass smells so sweet
What a deep shade of green, oh my
The sky is a massive span of blue
White puffy clouds go by
The Forsythias, oh what a brilliant yellow
Announcing the coming of spring
Nature in it's fullness, oh what a wonderful thing

The beauty is always reflected
On the water's open surface
The sun dances like brilliant diamonds
As the wind churns up the waves
Even though, I enjoy these scenes
Each day I am reminded
The color black may be the only one
That is seen with open eyelid

The monster is ever there, killing killing
Like suffocating smoke, dying, dying
Attitude can make or break you
That is something that I believe
You see, it is, better to have seen
Than not, to have seen at all

So each day I absorb my surroundings
And stop to smell, and see the roses
Oh how blessed I am to experience such beauty
For The Creator, made them all you see
A special gift, just for you and me!

Copyright ©1996

No comments: