Monday, June 16, 2008

Wii Fit and More on England

Happy Monday!

TODAY: Sinus problems are cursing me this week...argh! Cloudy with storms coming this afternoon...temperatures dropping after the rain. Good....cause this heat and humidity is aweful.

Wii Fit: Hubby and I have Wii gaming system. Bowling is awesome. It really is the only game that I can see good enough to play. I sure wish that Wii would have some low vision games for us baby boomers.

Anyway, we got the Wii fit package over a month ago and both hubby and I are enjoying it. Hubby plays tennis, baseball and recently he got the Wii Kart racing game. He can do all these games while still sitting, as he has bad hips and can't stand very long.
I LOVE the running courses on the Wii fit. Being a 5K race runner, these excercises are wonderful for training for my races. You walk,jog or run though parks, past waterfalls and around the islands, all running in place. The system tracks your progress and encourages you to do better. I understand that nursing homes and adult communities have these systems to help seniors stay fit within their limitations. If Wii would make the screen interface easier for us older folks to read, more people would use this. Now, I have to depend on hubby to navigate through the screens. Here is a photo of me running through the Lincoln Tunnel in my last 5K race in April:

STORY: Living in England for 2 years, I was in the 3rd and 4th grade. I was counting English money in math class in pounds, shillings and pence, while my classes back home in the USA were doing dollars and cents. I blame this situation for my bad math skills. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hot water was a shortage when we were over there in England. They did not have hot water heaters at the time, the water was heated by the coal fire we would have going in the fireplace. The water would circulate (somehow) past the heat of the fireplace and presto, we had hot water. The problem was in summer, when you did not really need the fire to keep the whole house warm. I recall heating water in pots on the stove to get some hot water to fill the tub....upstairs. As you can imagine, with just one fireplace in the living room downstairs, the bedrooms upstairs got a little cold in winter. We had hot water bottles to keep us from freezing.

My baby sister got her baths in the kitchen sink, as the stove was right next to it and the water did not have to be hauled upstairs. She was only 2 years old at the time.

My favorite part about England? Buttons. I don't mean the ones on your cloths. Cadbury makes these awesome chocolate buttons that I LOVE! A client of mine (Pet sitting) just came back from England and he was kind enough to bring back some of those buttons...Mmmmm....Chocolate!
You can buy these and other Cadbury sweets on the internet (Of Course): http://www.englishteastore.com/cabumich.html

No comments: